Sunday, March 15, 2009

Amendum to "beautiful"

Was doing some poking around and ran across this. you'll know the part where my mouth dragged on the floor.

Armstrong died of a heart attack on July 6, 1971, at age 69,[35] 11 months after playing a famous show at the Waldorf-Astoria's Empire Room. Shortly before his death he stated, "I think I had a beautiful life. I didn't wish for anything that I couldn't get and I got pretty near everything I wanted because I worked for it."[36] He was residing in Corona, Queens, New York City, at the time of his death. He was interred in Flushing Cemetery, Flushing, in Queens, New York City.

His honorary pallbearers included Governor Rockefeller, Mayor Lindsay, Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Guy Lombardo, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Pearl Bailey, Count Basie, Harry James, Frank Sinatra, Ed Sullivan, Earl Wilson, Alan King, Johnny Carson, David Frost, Merv Griffin, Dick Cavett and Bobby Hackett. Peggy Lee, one of Armstrong's favorite vocalists, sang The Lord's Prayer at the services

The mighty Satchmo can still floor me, and this time without even singin a word.

No comments: